Saturday, June 5, 2010

Confetti slaw

On Thursday we went to a vegetarian potluck, the theme being Latin America. Being resourceful and trying to use vegetables from the produce box I made a Mexican inspired slaw. Carrots and a large golden beet were part of my inspiration.
  

Confetti Slaw
A head of purple cabbage 
Carrots peeled and julienned 
Golden beet peeled and julienned
Jicama Cut and julienned
Cilantro
Two deseeded and finely chopped jalapenos
Lime juice from two limes.
Using a mandolin I sliced the jicama, beet, and carrots. Then I added the cabbage, I don't have an exact amount of how much I used of any of the ingredients, I just eyeballed it until I felt that every thing was proportionate. I added the two jalapenos, and lime juice. Then I added cilantro, I didn't even chop it up just adding leaves whole until I felt that there was enough. The dressing I made up an olive oil balsamic dressing adding a little bit of lime.  I think a creamy dressing would work as well, perhaps one with chipotle or cilantro.  

I was really pleased with the way it turned out. I am a big fan of colorful food and the golden beet in this definitely popped. It had a great crunch and tasted fresh, perfect for a late spring evening and went along well with the other foods at the potluck. The leftovers are good rolled up inside of a taco or served on the side with fish.





1 comment:

Ann Beurskens said...

It looks delicious...can't wait to try it.