Monday, November 21, 2011

A Cornucopia of Pumpkin

I love Thanksgiving, and in celebration of this week of prepping turkeys and peeling potatoes, I've decided to make a post about all the things I've been making with pumpkins. I had been wanting to make pancakes, pumpkin, to be more specific and made a regular sweet breakfast pancake and made a savory one as well.

For the breakfast pumpkin pancakes I used Bob's 10 Grain pancake mix and added three quarters of a cup pumpkin puree and a little bit of cardamom and cinnamon. For the savory pancakes I found a recipe in the The New Moosewood Cookbook for sweet potato pancakes and adapted it for the use of pumpkin.

 Savory Pumpkin Pancakes adapted from The Moosewood New Classics Cookbook
1 1/2cups of pureed pumpkin
 1/3 of onion coarsely grated 
2 tablespoons of lemon juice 
salt and pepper to taste
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup flour 


1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. 
2 Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet until it is very hot. 
3. Spoon batter and form thin pancakes patting the batter down, frying on both sides until brown. 
4. Serve hot with sour cream or applesauce. 


These were both wonderful treats. I think I am more partial to the savory pancakes, I was really impressed with the way they turned out. and I don't know why I had never thought of a doing a savory pumpkin pancake. But it is definitely not going to be the last time. Maybe next time some green onions or chives or bacon would be really good.




Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: