Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Greens in Homage to Carrie

I should be continuing on my pumpkin posts but since Thanksgiving is still fresh I'm going to forgo pumpkins and skip right to the greens. Each year we add a new dish to the traditional Thanksgiving fare. I knew the dish I would make had to include greens, because if I didn't use them right away they would be forgotten among the Thanksgiving  leftovers.

I found a recipe for Kimchi Creamed Collard Greens. I thought this looked great. This recipe appealed to me also because my sister is in Korea for a year, and we were celebrating Thanksgiving with out her, so I also decided to make it in homage to Carrie.

Turnip greens and kale
 For the greens, I used turnip greens, kale, and at the last minute I added a lovely bunch of bok choy. I am always amazed that no matter how many greens I have it always looks so much smaller in the end.

 I really loved this dish it's similar to creamed spinach but has a nice kick and flavor. How could you go wrong with greens paired with heavy cream and bacon. The kimchi was a nice spicy addition and if you have an aversion to fermented cabbage it tastes just as good without it. I am really impressed with the way that this turned out and might even work it into Christmas dinner as well.
Kimchi Creamed Greens
 This a salad my mom made but she used some the nice peppery arugula from the box.
 It was a roasted root vegetable salad with pears and roasted parsnips and carrots, and it was great. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with wonderful food.







Other Posts You Might Like
Thankful For Greens And Vegetables
Salad With A Little Bit Of Everything Including Radish

No comments: