Thursday, February 10, 2011

Eggs and Broccoli

Since the start of the year I am trying to make more of an effort to be more organized. One of the first things I've tackled is to purge the ever growing stack of cooking magazines that have accumulated through the years. I've been tearing the recipes out that I would make, be interested in making, or have made. Putting them in a book and organizing them by meal. I even started a separate vegetable book for CSA cooking.
In my recipe organizing mania I came upon a recipe for a poached egg on toast sprinkled with Parmesan and a basil pistou.  This recipe inspired two thoughts.

One being that I love a good poached egg, especially on toast. The second thought was instead making a  pistou I thought about vegetables. What about sauteing broccoli instead.

Which is what I did.
I Sauteed  the broccoli in olive oil and a little garlic.
Then taking a toasted slice of french bread sprinkled with a little Parmesan, I placed the broccoli and then the poached egg.
This was satisfying and filling. The saltiness of the Parmesan worked well with the egg and the broccoli.
I probably could have sauteed the broccoli a little longer because it was still crunchy. I also could have cut it into smaller pieces so the broccoli wasn't overtaking the whole plate. None of that deterred from my enjoyment of such a simple dinner. Even as I write, I find myself thinking about wanting to make this for lunch.

 
Poached Eggs and Broccoli with a side of bacon.

Other Posts you might like
Cooking In A Green Year  Swiss Chard Souffle

No comments: