Saturday, March 12, 2011

Everything But The Kitchen Sink Pizza With Spinach

Spinach that has been washed and dried
Pizza is such a great meal allowing for just about anything to be put on top and having a successful tasty outcome. This pizza we created used items that we had in the fridge and the pantry, the only item I knew I wanted to use was spinach.
 I had some cornmeal that I thought would make a really great crust. Using the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics  I used their recipe for dough, substituting 1/2 a cup of cornmeal for flour. I am a fan of making my own dough. I like the process of  kneading the dough, and letting it rise, it's something that I could see as being intimidating, but it's worth conquering the fear.
These are the pizzas, they both have the same ingredients except the squarish one has bacon on it. I've been a fan of bacon on pizza ever since my friend Megan made her amazing Meg-herita. It is a treat to look forward to in the summer when heirloom tomatoes and basil are a plenty.
As for  the Kitchen Sink Pizza we put;
Shredded Parmesan
Sliced onion
A sprinkling of canned sliced olives
A few cloves of  thinly sliced and browned garlic
Some grated Iberico cheese, left over from co-hosting a baby shower
On one pizza a couple slices of cooked bacon
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
And spinach

After putting everything on the dough, except the spinach, I let it bake for about 15 minute, just until the bottom of the crust had a light brown color. Then I put the spinach on, letting it cook for another 4- 5 minutes. I didn't want the spinach on for the whole baking period because it would have gotten brown and wilted. Just before cutting  I sprinkled a little olive oil on top.
This pizza was great. The crust came out nice and crispy, the onion and spinach gave a sweetness to the pizza that worked with the salt of the cheese, olives, and bacon. I have to say I think I liked the baconless pizza a little bit more. This morning I had the last two pieces warmed up with a fried egg on top, so good.



Here is the latest box. Look at those turnips and radishes, they are giant.

Other posts you might like
Cooking in a Green Year A Visit From The CIA

No comments: