Monday, April 4, 2011

A Glaze Turned Up

A family of turnips

Turnips are often thrown together with other root veggies, or mashed along with potatoes. I wanted to make something that just featured the turnips alone. I found this recipe on epicurious for glazed turnips with scallions and parsley.  This was a somewhat successful recipe, the main problem being my lax job of peeling the turnips. I read that for smaller turnips you don't have to peel them, so for the little one I didn't and the larger ones I kind of just peeled like a carrot. Not realizing that turnips skin is a little tough this makes for an interesting textural contrast when eating soft braised turnips. Now I know that they need to be peeled thoroughly, I will not make that mistake again.  They did however braise nicely, and are a good pairing with the green onion and parsley.  They make me want some sort of meat on the side.

The Finished Turnips
Other Posts You Might Like
Thankful For Greens And Vegetables
Easy Side 

No comments: