I found a recipe on Food52 for Peasant Beets that uses the beet greens and a bunch of chard. This is just a different version of my Delightful Beets to Share. This recipe involves a little more cooking than the Delightful Beets but uses more ingredients from the box. I made a few adaptations to the recipe because I didn't have some ingredients.
French "Peasant" Beets
4-6 Beets with greens
1 Bunch of Swiss chard
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 cloves of garlic chopped
A leftover glass of red wine from the night before (about 2-3 tablespoons
2 Tablespoons of water
- Scrub and peel the beets. Remove the greens and chop coarsely. Set the greens aside in a large prep bowl. Slice beets into 1/4 rounds.
- Remove the stems from the Swiss chard, and then coarsely chop the leaves and place in bowl with beet greens.
- In a large pan, melt butter. Saute garlic.
- Add beet rounds to the garlic butter mixture. Crack some pepper and salt over the beets. Reduce heat and saute beets turning over periodically to ensure even cooking.
- About 15 minutes later when beets are beginning to glaze and become tender, add beet greens and chard. Saute for about 5 minutes than add wine and cover. Cook until greens are wilted adding water if necessary. Allow liquid to be mostly absorbed into greens adjust seasonings.
- Scoop greens and beets into a shallow bowl. Serve with some crusty bread and your favorite tangy spreadable cheese of choice.
Other Posts You Might Like