Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Delightful Beets To Share

A few years ago my friend Megan made this sweet red onion migrogreen relish. It was delish. I decided to amend her relish used some store bought already cooked and peeled beets. From that day on  I have made it numerous times for parties, family gatherings, and even for a wedding. With the inclusion of beets in the box lately, I have been making my salad/relish for birthdays and late night hang outs. I don't really know what to call my beet combination, I called it a compote for a while, and then a salad, or a relish. Whatever the name the taste is always great. When serving it in a group there is usually someone who expresses their distaste for beets, and upon trying a little beet mixture I usually have converted them. So here is how to make it.
 Just a note I don't really know how much I put in of each ingredient I usually just eyeball it, so that everything is equally represented.
Beet Relish/Salad/Compote Deliciousness 

4 midsized beets
About a quarter to a half of a red onion chopped
Organic Microgreens 
1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
  1. Wash your beets to get all the dirt off of them. Then wrap them in foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. You want them roasted to the point where they can be poked easily with a fork. When done let them rest and cool, their skins should peel off easily.
  2.  When the beets are completely cool chop them up and put in a bowl. Dice up your red onion and throw in a handful of microgreens. You can buy microgreens at Trader Joe's. 
  3. Add balsamic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I normally don't measure the vinegar or olive oil so a Tablespoon is a good place to start and then go from there. If you feel like you need more of any of the ingredients, add it.
When everything is together it will have a nice purple hue.  Now you can either let it sit for a little bit and let the flavors marinate or serve right away. This is so easy to make, the most time consuming thing is roasting the beets.  It's crunchy and sweet, and while each ingredient has a distinct taste, together they work wonderful. It's great on the side as a salad. If your going to a party bring some sliced bread along or make crostini and serve as an appetizer. If you really want to steal the show at the party take along some goat cheese and be prepared to receive praise.
A little crostini dressed up with beets.
Other Posts You Might Like
Beet Week
Confetti Salad

No comments: