Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pickled Chard

Chard with leaves. 
If you eat a lot of leafy greens a majority of the time the stem gets tossed into the trash. I found a recipe that uses the stem in a great innovative way and there is no cooking involved, just an exercise in patience. In the last issue of Bon Appetit  I found a little blurb about fridge pickles, using the stems of chard. I love just about anything pickled and I liked that this used an item that is not used very often. I doubled the recipe because I had about 3 cups of chard stems.
I did however add 1 less cup of sugar, mainly because I thought it was too much.
Here is the doubled recipe:
Swiss chard Stems
2 cups of white vinegar
3 cups of sugar
1 thinly sliced onion
6 Tablespoons of Sriracha
1 teaspoon of celery seed
Mix the vinegar, sugar, onion, Sriracha, and celery seed. Pour it over the chopped chard stems. Let hang out in fridge for a few days and then eat. 
Pickled chard


These are really good sweet and slightly spicy because of the Sriracha. We've just been snacking on them periodically but I think they would be really great in a sandwich. This is a great item to have on hand now that summer is in full swing, something that is easy to make, eat, and is great for the summer get together, beach party and lazy evenings ahead.

Other Posts You Might Like
A Chip Off The Old Root
Salad With A Little Bit Of Everything Including Radish

No comments: